- This event has passed.
Festival of Birds in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
May 15, 2014 - May 18, 2014
Join us in May as we take you to some of the hottest birding sites in Minnesota! We’ll take you in the field where 90 percent of the state’s regular bird species have been seen. The Detroit Lakes area is located in a transition zone in northwestern Minnesota where tall grass prairie meets northern hardwood and conifer forest ecosystems. Add a landscape peppered with lakes and wetlands and the diversity of plant, animal, and bird life is so unique that all of the state-listed bird species have been documented in the festival birding area. In a small geographic area, birders can find a tremendous variety of species. You’ll see migratory birds in their brightest springtime mating plumage: Mid-May birding is spectacular!
This year’s festival offers several remarkable presentations and workshops:
• Joel Greenberg with “Echoes of their Wings: The Life and Legacy of the Passenger Pigeon”
• Sue Leaf with “A Love Affair with Birds: The life of Thomas Sadler Roberts”
• Rosalind Renfrew with “The double life of the Bobolink: A new Conservation Paradigm”
• Carrol Henderson workshop: “Wildlife Photography Tips, Tricks and Techniques”
• Bridget Olson workshop: “Wading Wonders” Shorebird I.D.