June 6, 2005
Nan Moore captured this Rufous Hummingbird in flight at the William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge near Corvallis, Oregon.
Nan tells us: "There must have been about a dozen birds chittering and chattering at each other and competing for the best spots at the feeder. Nearly frozen from the north wind, I was just about to pack up and go home when this beautiful male [Selasphorus rufus]
paused in mid-air and looked at me as if to say, 'Hurry Up! I don't have all day!'"
Nan uses a Canon Rebel digital camera.
You can see the bird at these great birdwatching hotspots:Union Bay Natural Area, Seattle, WashingtonSmith & Bybee Wetlands Natural Area, Portland, OregonView photos of other hummingbirds:
- Anna's Hummingbird female and nestling
- Anna's Hummingbird with a water-soaked bill
- Black-chinned Hummingbird
- Broad-tailed Hummingbird
- Buff-bellied Hummingbird
- Calliope Hummingbird
- Costa's Hummingbird
- Purple-crowned Woodnymph
- Purple-throated Carib
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds swarming a feeder
- Rufous Hummingbird chicks in the nest
- Rufous Hummingbird hovering near a nectar feeder in British Columbia
- Rufous Hummingbird, close-up portrait of hovering bird
- Rufous Hummingbirds colliding in flight
- Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
- Tufted CoquetteDirections, maps, bird lists, and tips for more easy-to-get-to birdwatching destinations.Talk about this photo, and read what other people are saying about it, in our photography forum.Read guidelines on how to submit your picture to Photo of the Week.