May 5, 2008
This adult male Costa's Hummingbird was seen in Sun City, Arizona.
Leda Thaler of Lakewood, Colorado, saw the hummingbird (Calypte costae)
at her mother's Arizona home. She used a Nikon D50 and a 70-210mm lens to take the photo.
You can see the hummingbird at these great birdwatching hotspots:Kofa National Wildlife Refuge, ArizonaSan Elijo Lagoon, San Diego County, CaliforniaView photos of other hummingbirds:
- Anna's Hummingbird female and nestling
- Anna's Hummingbird with a water-soaked bill
- Black-chinned Hummingbird
- Broad-tailed Hummingbird
- Buff-bellied Hummingbird
- Calliope Hummingbird
- Purple-crowned Woodnymph
- Purple-throated Carib
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird perched
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds swarming a feeder
- Rufous Hummingbird in flight at Oregon's William L. Finley NWR
- Rufous Hummingbird chicks in the nest
- Rufous Hummingbird hovering near a nectar feeder in British Columbia
- Rufous Hummingbird, close-up portrait of hovering bird
- Rufous Hummingbirds colliding in flight
- Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
- Tufted CoquetteDirections, maps, bird lists, and tips for more easy-to-get-to birdwatching destinations.Talk about this photo, and read what other people are saying about it, in our photography forum.
A picture you take could win you a free one-year subscription to Birder's World!
We choose a new photo every Monday. And every other month, we ask a professional bird photographer whose work we've published in the magazine to pick the best Photo of the Week over the previous two months. We'll give the winner a free one-year subscription. Plus, we'll publish his or her photo in the magazine! Send us your photo today!Guidelines & RulesWinnersSpecies ListArchive