Photo of the Week Contest - Rules
1. The Photo of the Week Contest is open to all photographers who post photographs of birds in our online galleries and submit pictures of birds by e-mail.|
2. Registration on BirdWatchingDaily.com is required to post photographs in our online galleries.
3. If you choose to submit pictures by e-mail, send them to email@example.com. Put "Photo of the Week submission" in the subject line. In your e-mail, provide your name, city/town, and state or province. Let us know if you are a subscriber or a forum member.
4. Save your digital photos as JPEG files at a minimum size of 800 pixels wide or at least 4 inches wide at 200 DPI. Photos larger than this are fine, but don't make them too big. Images larger than 9 by 6 inches at 300 DPI may be too large for our mailbox. Save the JPEG image file at a good or high quality setting.
5. Do not submit digital composites. Do not submit images that are digitally altered beyond the necessary dodging, burning, cropping, color balancing, and sharpening. We are assuming that your digital image reflects what your camera recorded at the moment you released the shutter.
6. We further expect photographers to follow the American Birding Association's Code of Birding Ethics and the Principles of Ethical Field Practices published by the North American Nature Photography Association. Failure to seek a bird’s welfare is a cause for disqualification.
7. Whether you post your photo in our online galleries or e-mail it, please write a description of the photo and how you took it. Tell us what species is pictured, where the photo was taken, and what camera equipment you used. Be sure to tell us what you did to capture the image. Tell us whether your photo has won an award in another photo contest. Finally, if your photo shows a bird that is not a wild, untrained, healthy, free-flying animal, say so. Failure to disclose the photography of captive birds is a cause for disqualification.
8. By the act of e-mailing a photo or by posting a photo in our online galleries, you automatically grant to BirdWatching the right to publish the photo on the BirdWatchingDaily website at no cost to BirdWatching. You further warrant that you are the sole creator and owner of the photo and own the rights to enter the photo in the Photo of the Week Contest. Individual photographers will retain all copyrights to their own work.
9. Every week, the BirdWatching staff will name one image the photo of the week. Weekly winners will be notified by e-mail immediately after being named.
10. Each photo of the week will be posted on the BirdWatchingDaily website.
11. Every two months, one image named photo of the week will be selected as a bimonthly winning image. Bimonthly winners will be notified by e-mail immediately after being selected. There will be no repeat winners.
12. The BirdWatching editorial staff and a contributing photographer will choose the bimonthly winners. The judges' decisions will be final.
13. Each bimonthly winning image will be posted on the BirdWatchingDaily website and printed in the magazine.
14. Each bimonthly winner will be awarded either a one-year subscription to BirdWatching magazine or a one-year renewal of an existing subscription. Note: There may be locations to which BirdWatching will be unable to ship the subscription.
15. Madavor Media, LLC, (Madavor) publisher of BirdWatching magazine, shall have the right to reproduce all or portions of the images in other formats for the purpose of promoting the publication. Madavor will retain the right to transform or recast the winning images for publication in different forms, including, but not limited to print, electronic, magnetic, or digital and in all subsequent editions of BirdWatching magazine. Madavor shall also have the right to provide the image at any time to third parties for the purpose of indexing and archiving in whole or in part and in any format. Madavor shall also have the right to provide the image to educational institutions or non-profit organizations who may reprint and distribute the article free or for cost of duplication.
16. Not eligible are employees of Madavor Media, LLC, and their immediate families.
17. Not eligible are photographers who receive the bimonthly BirdWatching photo want list.
18. Madavor Media, LLC, is not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (ii) failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; (iii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of Madavor that may cause the Photo of the Week entries to be disrupted or corrupted; (iv) any injuries, losses, damages or claims of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of participation in the Photo of the Week Contest; or (v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the contest.
19. Madavor reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time. Madavor also reserves the right to disqualify, in its sole discretion, any photographer.
20. For a list of winners, check the winners page.
Sponsored by Madavor Media, LLC, 85 Quincy Ave., Suite 2, Quincy, MA 02169.