Great Horned Owl
February 12, 2007
A Great Horned Owl and chick greeted visitors at Loxahatchee National Wildlife Preserve near Boynton Beach, Florida.
Michael Wolf of Pompano Beach knew an owl (Bubo virginianus)
nest was near the main entrance to the refuge. He was photographing the pair with his Canon 1D Mark IIn digital SLR and a 500mm image-stabilized lens when a school bus full of children rolled by, catching the attention of the adult and chick. View a close-up portrait of a juvenile Great Horned Owl.
See a picture of young Great Horned Owls in a nest in a cactus.
See a photo of three Great Horned Owls at the Owl Rehabilitation Society in British Columbia.View photos of other owls:
- Barred Owl stretching its wing
- Barred Owl peering through trees
- Barred Owl, close-up portrait
- Boreal Owl
- Burrowing Owls
- Burrowing Owl in South Miami, Florida
- Burrowing Owl, close-up portrait
- Eastern Screech-Owl
- Great Gray Owl
- Long-eared Owl
- Northern Hawk Owl
- Short-eared Owl
- Snowy OwlDirections, maps, bird lists, and tips for more easy-to-get-to birdwatching destinations.Talk about this photo, and read what other people are saying about it, in our photography forum.
To learn how one of your pictures could become a Photo of the Week, read our guidelines