January 29, 2007
A Snowy Owl perches on a snag at Horicon Marsh in Wisconsin.
The owl (Bubo scandiacus)
was spotted in early January 2007 at the Horicon Marsh, which is part of the Horicon National Wildlife Refuge
in southeastern Wisconsin. Patrick Ready of Stoughton, Wisconsin, used a Canon 30D digital SLR and a 400mm image-stabilized lens.
You can see the bird at these great birdwatching hotspots: Ile-Bizard, Montréal, QuebecBeaverhill Lake, Alberta, CanadaView photos of other owls:
- Barred Owl stretching its wing
- Barred Owl peering through trees
- Barred Owl, close-up portrait
- Boreal Owl
- Burrowing Owls
- Burrowing Owl in South Miami, Florida
- Burrowing Owl, close-up portrait
- Eastern Screech-Owl
- Great Gray Owl
- Great Horned Owl, juvenile, close-up portrait
- Great Horned Owls in cactus nest
- Great Horned Owl, adult and juveniles
- Great Horned Owl and chick
- Long-eared Owl
- Northern Hawk Owl
- Short-eared OwlDirections, maps, bird lists, and tips for more easy-to-get-to birdwatching destinations.
Talk about this photo, and read what other people are saying about it, in our photography forum.
To learn how one of your pictures could become a Photo of the Week, read our guidelines