September 11, 2006
Two White Ibises cross bills at Cockroach Bay, Florida.
Siddhardha Garige of Tampa, Florida took the picture, the fourth winner of our 2006 Photo of the Week Contest. The White Ibis (Eudocimus albus)
behaves this way during courtship.
Garige took the picture at Cockroach Bay Aquatic Preserve
, on the southeast part of Tampa Bay. He used a Nikon D50, a Sigma 100-300mm zoom lens, and a 1.4x teleconverter.
You can see the bird at these great birdwatching hotspots:St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, Florida Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, FloridaView photos of other wading birds:
- American Bittern standing by reeds
- American Bittern poking its head out of vegetation
- Black-crowned Night-Heron
- Great Blue Heron eating a fish
- Great Blue Heron standing on a rock
- Great Blue Herons tending to their nest
- Great Blue Heron chicks
- Great Egret and two chicks
- Great Egret in breeding plumage
- Great Egret, close-up portrait
- Green Heron
- Least Bittern
- Little Blue Heron
- Reddish Egret
- Roseate Spoonbill standing in a tree
- Roseate Spoonbill, wings spread
- Snowy Egret running in shallow water
- Snowy Egret standing in mirror-like water
- Snowy Egret standing in tree
- Tricolored Heron
- Wood Stork
- Yellow-crowned Night-HeronDirections, maps, bird lists, and tips for more easy-to-get-to birdwatching destinations.Talk about this photo, and read what other people are saying about it, in our photography forum.
To learn how one of your pictures could become a Photo of the Week, read our guidelines